User tools SmallNormal Text SizeLargePrintBookmark the SiteEmail this Page


Posted on: Wed 11 May 2011

Two fine goals enlivened Brentford's pre-season draw with Wycombe Wanderers.

The Bees took the lead with a fine David Hunt free kick but Kevin Betsy levelled it up after a nice Wycombe move.

In a game with fewer substitutions than the normal pre-season outing both teams would have learned a lot about their players' fitness and the way things are gelling two and a half weeks before the start of the season.


The game started in an even manner - both teams had chances and possession was largely shared.

Scott Rendell had an early shot blocked while Wycombe defender Danny Foster, back at Griffin Park after his summer move, made an important last ditch clearance from a Hunt free kick.

The best chance of the first quarter fell to Mark Phillips, also returning to west London.

The Wycombe trialist found himself eight yards out after Keiran Murtagh had miss-hit a shot from a Betsy corner but he swivelled and shot wide.

Dave Winfield made an important last ditch headed interception when a Myles Weston cross looked set to find Carl Cort but moments later Hunt lit up Griffin Park with a wonderful goal.

He measured a free kick 25 yards from goal in the inside right channel over the wall and into the far corner of Nikki Bull's goal, via the far post.

The Bees grew in confidence - Nicky Forster almost set up a second when he got behind Winfield and tried to find Hunt six yards out but the cut back was blocked, and he may reflect that a pass to Weston a few yards deeper was the better option.

Michael Spillane, playing on the right of midfield, had a volley deflected narrowly wide after a good run by Weston and then headed the resulting corner just past the post.

Phillips headed straight at Simon Moore on a rare Wycombe foray forward but they levelled before the break with another superb goal.

A series of passes, coupled with delightful movement, created the space for Lewis Montrose to slip a ball through to Betsy and he lashed home from ten yards, giving Moore no chance.

Spillane headed over just before the break and Forster was just unable to reach a long cross soon after but the second period wasn't as full of goalmouth action.

Moore held a low cross-cum-shot from Rendell and a Betsy shot was deflected wide.

Spillane had the ball in the net but it was ruled out for offside and David McCracken went close with a volley from a Hunt corner that was cleared off the line.

Jon-Paul Pittman had a shot blocked and came close to winning it with a flicked header from a Marvin McCoy cross that bounced inches wide.

Brentford largely dominated the second period, although Wycombe came into it more as the game went on, but neither midfield saw as much of the ball as they had done before the break.

Marcus Bean created a fine opening by exchanging passes with Weston but his low shot was saved by Bull.

Montrose shot over late on and Pittman pulled an effort wide while Moore gathered a Winfield nod down.

McCracken had another header cleared deep inside the Wycombe box as Brentford tried to win it but had to settle for a draw in the warm-up match.

Brentford: Moore; O'Connor, McCracken, Osborne, Woodman; Spillane, Hunt, Bean, Weston; Cort (sub Wood 67 mins), Forster

Wycombe Wanderers: Bull; Forster, Phillips, Winfield, Sansara (sub McCoy 60 mins); Ainsworth (sub Pittman 67 mins), Montrose, Murtagh, Betsy; Strevens, Rendell

Attendance: 984 (99 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

 News Archive
Display Stories From Week

All rights reserved save as per website Terms of Use. Cookies & Privacy. Subscription terms and conditions.


For all advertising and sponsorship enquiries, please click here