User tools SmallNormal Text SizeLargePrintBookmark the SiteEmail this Page


Posted on: Wed 11 May 2011

Brentford's pre-season started with a defeat as neighbours Fulham came out on top in Kevin O'Connor's testimonial.

The Premiership team put out a strong line-up in the match to mark O'Connor's long service with the club and their class told as they left with a 5-0 win.

The Bees gave 21 players a run out, starting with different outfield line-ups in both halves and, although the score-line doesn't suggest it, they tested Fulham at times and deserved something for their efforts.


But Fulham may also feel they could have had more goals - they were 3-0 up inside half an hour and it could have been more.

David Elm headed wide inside the first three minutes and Leon Legge made a good block when Eddie Johnson had a sight of goal.

Legge was inadvertently involved when Fulham took the lead, a low Chris Baird shot flicked the defender and rolled past Richard Lee and into the net.

But Brentford had a great chance to level when they were awarded a penalty when Charlie MacDonald was felled by Stephen Kelly.

MacDonald stepped up but his low spot kick was straight at David Stockdale and he saved easily.

And moments later it was 2-0.

A poor Lee kick fell to Bjorn Helge Riise, he attacked the edge of the box before laying it back to Elm, who slotted it under Lee and into the net from 20 yards.

It was three soon after when Elm and Johnson combined to released Damien Duff inside the box and he lifted it over Lee and into the net.

Lee kept it at three when he saved well with his legs from Johnson and denied him again soon after and Brentford had chances before the end of the half to get themselves on the score sheet when David McCracken headed a Sam Saunders free kick narrowly over.

O'Connor featured as part of the second half team and after the break The Bees will feel they should have had at least one goal.

Stockdale saved well from a low Sam Wood shot and Carl Cort had a shot blocked but Fulham made it four when Johnson found himself clear behind the Brentford defence having apparantly sprung the offside trap, he rounded Lee and rolled it home.

Riise shot into the side netting and a Zoltan Gera volley from a tight angle was well held by Lee before another low Wood shot was saved.

Fulham's fifth came midway through the second half when a Gera cross was missed by the Brentford defence and Simon Davies slotted home.

Gera fired just over and a low shot from Keanu Marsh-Brown was cleared off the line.

James Whyte forced a save from substitute goalkeeper Neil Etheridge with a chipped shot and a Kirk Hudson effort was also turned away by the Fulham stopper.

The Bees ended in the ascendency as Fulham rung the changes but could not breach the Premiership defence and it was nearly six in the dying seconds when Marcello Trotta headed wide from close range.

Brentford (first half): Lee; Spillane, Legge, McCracken, Woodman; Saunders, Reeves, Bean, Weston; Forster, MacDonald

Brentford (second half): Lee; Coombes, Osborne, Bennett, Blake; Hunt; Hudson, Whyte, O'Connor (sub Bush 89 mins), Wood; Cort

Fulham (first half): Stockdale; Stoor, Kelly, Hangeland, Konchesky; Duff, Baird, Greening, Riise, Elm, Johnson

Fulham (second half): Stockdale (sub Etheridge 78 mins); Stoor (sub Marquez 87 mins), Hughes, Kelly, Smith; Davies, Greening (sub Harris 78 mins), Baird (sub Marsh-Brown 64 mins), Riise (sub Saunders 64 mins), Johnson (sub Trotta 80 mins), Gera

Attendance: 4,136

By Chris Wickham

 News Archive
Display Stories From Week

All rights reserved save as per website Terms of Use. Cookies & Privacy. Subscription terms and conditions.


For all advertising and sponsorship enquiries, please click here